Thursday, August 27, 2009

May the purpose of this blog now be fulfilled.

Well hello everyone. Now I have something to actually write about on this blog. I made it to Dubai with no real setbacks or anything. My 10 hour (turned 9 hour cuz of a delay) layover in London was interesting, but I left somewhat disappointed. It's not that London isn't cool.. It totally is.. I just left frustrated because I didn't get to see what was on the top of my list to see. St. Paul's crypt was closed by the time I got there so I didn't get to see Duke Wellington's grave (hero of mine since forever) or Admiral Nelson's grave either. On top of that it was dreary with some rain and, initially, I got lost. So, interesting times indeed.

Quick note: They expect you to keep left when walking but they want you to keep right while going up escalators. Pick a side and keep with it! I stuck it to the man and kept right.. that'll show 'em. Oh, and the whole driving on the wrong side of the road freaked me out, even though I was prepared for it. I dunno how many times I thought I was going to die before I realized the car coming towards me isn't driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

I was disappointed flying into Dubai today. I was on the wrong side of the plane coming in so I didn't get to see the palm or world islands from the sky. Sad day. The taxi ride to the university worked out well for the most part. I got to see the Burj Dubai (tallest building in the world) and that thing is crazy. Crazy tall. Saw a few things I want to explore such as the Burj Arab (7 star hotel), indoor skiing at the mall, a hotel in the shape of a pyramid, and a few other interesting buildings. Spent most of my time so far unpacking and trying to wade through all the bureaucratic crap here at AUD (American University in Dubai). Only partial success though. I still need bedding and probably won't get some till tomorrow or Saturday. I did, however, find a pillow at the supermarket on campus. I also need to get a cell phone to use locally so that will be interesting. I feel like the money is going away too fast already.

It's Ramadan here so there may be something interesting happening when the sun goes down.. we'll see. I think I'm going to give in and take a short nap.. I'm exhausted with all the traveling and little sleep. I'm probably not supposed to sleep right now to help adjust my body to the time zone but I am at the point where I don't really care right now. I hope things are going well back in the states. Facebook me. Email me. Something. I would love to hear from you guys! I'll try to write again soon. Ciao.

1 comment:

Amber McMath said...

Let us know what Ramadan is like! Surely it's not like Mali with the streets running red with cow's blood for the evening feast! Thanks for starting a blog about Dubai. You HAVE to keep us updated!